Last few weeks I have been discussing issues like Vaginal Atrophy, Vaginal Laxity etc on my Instagram. Extending that discussion I am sharing my review of Perifit which is a Kegel Exerciser Device.
So why do we need a Kegel Exerciser Device? We have all heard the benefits of a vaginal birth or normal delivery but what some of us are not aware of it the stretching of the muscles that happen and that it’s followed by leaking.
What happens to your pelvic floor during vaginal delivery?
Well, your pelvic floor muscles are stretched, strained, and sometimes even torn, by your baby’s head as it moves through the birth canal during a normal delivery. This stretching and straining can lead to pelvic floor dysfunction which is when your pelvic muscles become weak and unable to tighten, flex, and relax.
Doctors have recommended me to do Kegel exercises and that’s when I googled and found Perifit.
What is Perifit?
Perifit is device that is a Kegel exerciser Device that lets you control video games with your pelvic floor. It has been designed specifically to help women strengthen their pelvic floor to prevent and treat issues related to its weakening (pain, incontinence or even prolapse) .
When I first unboxed it, I was a bit taken aback as it looks like a sex toy. I was worried that I had received a wrong product but after having used it over a few months, I now can share it’s pros and cons and assure you it’s definitely not a sex toy. In fact, it is a medical device registered at the FDA and CE. While the device came in a PR kit for me, my review is completely honest.
Let’s start by why you need a device like Perifit when you can do Kegel Exercise as recommended by the doctors?
- There is no way to track your progress while doing Kegels on your own. However, with Perifit, the kegel exerciser device you can keep a track.
- You also don’t know if you are doing these Kegel exercises properly. I have been doing the Kegel exercises on and off and still experienced leaking over the years. Perifit gives you an instant feedback and you realise if you are going off track and trust me it’s not easy.
What are the benefits Of A Kegel Exerciser Device?
While I have used it for a few months and have experienced a marked improvement in the leaks I was experiencing, it apparently has other benefits and claims to;
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation is used to improve the strength and control of pelvic floor muscles to their normal abilities. You can start these 6 weeks after delivery. It will prevent pelvic floor dysnfunction and Pelvic Prolapse.
- Stops Stress incontinence– Basically leaking while sneezing, coughing etc. So one of the main functions of the pelvic floor is to support the bladder and when we do these activities pressure on the abdomen and bladder increases which causes leaking. Here again Kegel exercises help.
- Helps to minimize symptoms of Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Helps heal Pelvic Prolapse without surgery- Pelvic organ prolapse is a condition that causes pelvic organs to press or drop because the muscles aren’t able to support them. Kegel Exercises done with focus on strengthening the pelvic floor using Perifit help lessen prolapse symptoms.
- Treats Overactive Bladder– When detrusor muscle around the bladder becomes weak women end up peeing involuntarily. It can be cured by behavioural therapy and pharmacotherapy. Behavioural therapy involves Pelvic floor muscle training to twitch and hold for long periods and for that Kegel exercises and Perifit, a kegel exerciser device, come into the picture.
- Since it is in form of a game that you exercise your pelvic area, it is less boring and more fun.
Here the bird moves up and down as per the amount you squeeze and relax and the more lotuses you collect, the more points you gain.
Cons Of A Kegel Exerciser Device
- It takes getting used having an alien body inside your body.
- These exercises are not easy and it takes some practice to getting used to.
- You need to keep prying and inquisitive eyes of your kids and family members away. I found it difficult to explain to my kids. Finally, I used it’s a ‘girl private thing’ code which usually shuts my boys up. I do talk to them about a lot of ‘women centric’ topics so if I use this, they know it’s off limits.
- You need to come into a routine with it and find private time to do it.
- It only has 2 games, so it got boring after a while for me.
- It feel like an additional expense. It costs 139 $ and shipping is extra. In my view, if it can cure Stress incontinence, pelvic dysfunction and heal pelvic prolapse then it’s worth every penny. Having said that I can only vouch for using it to work on my Stress Incontinence issue.
So here, it is all fair and detailed review from my end. I am doing a Giveaway of one free Kegel Exerciser Device ie Perifit to anyone who replies with one solid reason why she feels, she deserves it? Hoping to hear your stories.
I think it may help me. I have stress incontinence after giving vaginal birth to my two doughters. I would love to try it out 😊